Sentries on WL

Notifications
Clear all

Sentries on WL

Commander Stanky
(@stankyfeetgaming)
Estimable Member Customer

Nylex, a while back I asked if we could use sentries as searchlights on WL. I never got a definitive answer back on that so I will ask again.

Topic starter Posted : 07/01/2018 8:41 pm
TheRagingLemon
(@theraginglemon)
Reputable Member Customer

I do agree with this, I think it'll add a lot to camps, and some upcoming group's bases too. I think we can trust the people that are currently on whitelist. Maybe only for the friendly sentries, but I don't think any of the sentries will fit with wood bases, or any other building for that matter. And it wouldn't make sense for someone that's not a military engineer to make a sentry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2018 1:50 am
Commander Stanky
(@stankyfeetgaming)
Posted by: TheRagingLemon

I do agree with this, I think it'll add a lot to camps, and some upcoming group's bases too. I think we can trust the people that are currently on whitelist. Maybe only for the friendly sentries, but I don't think any of the sentries will fit with wood bases, or any other building for that matter. And it wouldn't make sense for someone that's not a military engineer to make a sentry.

Perhaps not a military engineer, but a mechanic and a normal engineer may be able to whip something up. Really I'm just pretending that it is a device that swivels back and forth to project light. Heck, if I worked hard enough, I could make one irl.
Also on your other comment about wood bases. I agree with the fact that a small wooden base will not need sentries for searchlights, but a larger clan that has a wooden wall should be fine for RP, or a player that is a really intelligent hermit (that knows his way around machines).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/01/2018 3:03 am
TheRagingLemon
(@theraginglemon)

There's different kinds of engineers. Not "normal ones". And all the mechanics I know, only know how to fix cars, or computers. Only people that I know that can build sentries are military grade mechanics/engineers. I assume that you can let staff know that "you're in the progress of developing an automated turret that is able to shoot hostiles" seems fair, but you have to at least be a mechanic or have experience of fixing/building things and give you about 1-2 irl days before you're able to place one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2018 3:16 am
Commander Stanky
(@stankyfeetgaming)

No you misunderstand. The sentry will have an unloaded gun inside with a tac-light. So it will become a searchlight that constantly swivels back and forth. I don't want it to be able to shoot. I want it to light up the night in a really cool way.

Also about the mechanic thing. Mechanics are good with machines. They can rig a motor to make a swivel for the sentry's.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/01/2018 3:26 am
TheRagingLemon
(@theraginglemon)

I still understand the gun part. I'm just saying the sentry building in general would be unrealistic. Even with the tac light in it. I previously posted a mod where you could use homemade sentries and that would be fine, but the regular look of the sentries is very un-realistic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2018 3:37 am
Commander Stanky
(@stankyfeetgaming)
Posted by: TheRagingLemon

I still understand the gun part. I'm just saying the sentry building in general would be unrealistic. Even with the tac light in it. I previously posted a mod where you could use homemade sentries and that would be fine, but the regular look of the sentries is very un-realistic.

Can I see the mod? I do kinda agree the normal look of sentries are unrealistic. But I have an idea on how a sentry that moved back and forth would work in real life.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/01/2018 3:41 am
PFQ
 PFQ
(@potionflingaqueen)
Honorable Member

Sentries are not allowed on the whitelisted server, period. Some of the top governments in the world cannot make fully automated turrets, and the ability to make and run them would not be common knowledge. I'm also fairly certain that you could not make the argument that you got it from before the apocalypse and you scavenged it because they're against the Geneva convention, though I may be wrong on that one. Regardless, sentries are banned from whitelist for everyone, period.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2018 6:30 am
TheRagingLemon
(@theraginglemon)

Told you it was worth suggesting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2018 4:33 pm
Nylex
(@admin)
Illustrious Member Admin

I think using them as a spotlight is a good idea, would make camps and stuff look really cool. Perhaps our characters could ignore that they're actually sentries and treat them as a tripod with a flashlight ontopXD 

Though when it comes to actual sentries, I agree with PFQ that they shouldn't really be in use.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2018 11:45 am
Fisher
(@fisher)

Building a sentry, for a flashlight or not, just screams secret abuse of it. We allowed them in the last WL server months ago and there was only trouble because of it. They stay banned. Period.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2018 1:46 pm
Nylex
(@admin)
Illustrious Member Admin

yes chef 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2018 1:58 pm
Share: