Opti
 Opti
(@elmomick)
Reputable Member Customer

1. Lack of staff activity on Russia

2. KoS Issues

3. Actually reviewing staff applications and their politics

4. Dwindling playerbase

This might be seen as a bit of rant, but I thought it'll fit in the suggestions tab. I will not name any names as this is not meant as a personal attack or critisism. Nor is this written for personal gain or fame.

1. Lack of staff activity on Russia / 2. KoS Issues

In recent week I have noticed that the activity of staff on Russia has been dwindling, this may be no issue in terms of rules between staff themselves. But this does result in lawless behaviour, proper cunts going around SafeZone camping and KoS'ing, glitched bases. 

Thing is though, I have taken it up to myself to then just take matters into my own hands. Yes my own outpost/town is suffering by this, I cannot build for long terms due to this. I cannot ignore a sad child, nearly crying that he got KoS'ed. So what I've done is that I collected a few lads that might've been known before as KoS'ers, schooled them over to do it by the book. And we will hunt them down. This will result that while I'm in a building jam that I have to drop my tools, ring up the lads, sometimes even just get half the server in a group just to hunt them down. Sometimes this is solved by roleplaying, conversation, or just a major war. Yes the first two things are great, yet the latter is what happens the most, filled with revenge-KoS, spawning back in, running to their loot and claiming that they are allowed to pick it back up, which then results in another full on war with Blunt Forces and Watcher kits. This is getting very taxing for myself, but for some strange and odd reason, people always come to me when they get KoS'ed, I sort them out with a fresh pair of jeans and a proper gun, consult them how to solve this, get a group sorted and solving the issue.

Meanwhile we'll see that all the admins are currently busy playing some arcade shooter, ignoring all screams for help, even when half the server is the victim. I've stopped directing players to the forums to report this, since this either gets ignored or it receives a short message which basically says: "Not enough evidence. Bye". Eventhough it isn't required to have screenshots nor footage, let me quote it.

Posted by: Nylex

Important information to include:

-Name of player/admin you are reporting
-What happened/why you are reporting the person
-State what server this happened on
-If you can provide any other info (offenders steam profile, video, screenshots etc.) that is very very helpful!

Ideally, posts that manage to link the offenders steam along with some sort of proof usually are the ones that get solved most. Without these things staff have a hard time determining an outcome as word vs word situations are very limited. 

Posts will be reviewed and situations investigated by forum and server moderators/admins 

Thanks for your efforts in keeping the community free of rule breakers! 

You'd think if there are enough reports on someone, that are mostly written experiences that these would at least be placed on a watch list. Even if that is in place, there is noone to use this watchlist.

I am currently the proud owner of a region myself, which I got as compensation for the removal of my shop back at Harbor (russia). So I spend about three days working out the floor planning, watching my back continuously due to not having a region in place, even though I probably already proven myself not to abuse my shop nor region. Thankfully though I had some great assistance from a moderator, which I am still grateful. for (John, I know I said I wouldnt name people.. But yeah, this needs to be mentioned.). Finally after a lot of stalking and bothering admins I got the region which was promised, so I continues building, put up some temp storage for the materials needed or just to empty inventory so I could build. 4 more days down the line, I got a bit burnt down building. So I decided to build and try some shop designs, just for a few people, it wouldnt be a shopping district but an RP town. Well, this didnt go great, since the region wasn't big enough to do this. It took me 3 days, after which a friend and actor of Nylex came on, whom I showed and explained what I was trying to make, he immediately jumped on it and increased the size.

This all here, all above, could've been an easier ride with a little more activity. Meanwhile KoS'ers are still active and dont give a shite.

3. Actually reviewing staff applications and their politics

Well yesterday and today I have been reading quite some applications, just to see what kind of fish are present in the pond. To my surprise I barely see any Staff or Owner activity on the applications, and the ones that seem to get a lot of applauds from the current staff are written poorly. From what I've read these past days is that there seems to be a lot of politics in place, it seems that friendship with current admins/moderators is a bigger factor than the things that are asked for on the forms. And there are a few gems within the applications, which go seemingly unnoticed. 

Sorry but atleast tell the people that seem eager to join the staff ranks what they've done wrong in the application, perhaps something that needs work, experience or reputation so these folks can work on what is missing. What's basically happening right now is that people put time and effort in their applications without any kind of appreciation, feedback or even just a +1 or -1.. Look this is not for my own position, I like filling out forms and writing pieces. 

I just hope that friendship and politics can change into experience, interest and being eager.

4. Dwindling playerbase

I help out tons of people that are new to the server, explain them the written rules and also the unwritten rules. Give them tips how to go about RPing, how shops and the trade actually work. Ask the folk that hang out with me a lot if they have some spare gear for the new lad, perhaps take him on a road trip across the map, show them the places to be and to go.

The sad thing is, after they have been on the server for a few days, maybe a week they sometimes come to me with that they are tired of the KoSing, no or fail RP-ing that is going on by players that have been there longer than some admins.

This happens more and more.

And this might be fixed with a bit more Admin activity or hiring more staff.

If you experience similar stuff on Cherno or any other server, Please add to this, this might be more global than I think.

Topic starter Posted : 02/06/2017 10:33 pm
JamesyBoy01 and MrRawr reacted
MrRawr
(@mrrawr)
Noble Member

+1

Totally agree dude! 

There really isn't much staff members online! Whenever I play, on chernaurus and Russia, I barely see any staff member online.. There is an urgent need for more staff members...right now, I don't really play unturned. I like playing other games with my mates. But I do hang around the discord 24/7.i believe that people that are online on discord constantly and on the forums should also deserve the staff role, it doesn't even have to be an ingame staff role. Whenever I'm on discord I barely see staff online. There really needs to be a change as mentioned in the latter, soon.. 

Regards, 

-Mr.Rawr

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2017 11:21 pm
Slothy Destroyer
(@slothy-destroyer)
Trusted Member Customer

I agree very much!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2017 2:10 am
Nylex
(@admin)
Illustrious Member Admin

1/2.----
first off you don't have to compensate players who are KOS'd though I really appreciate the help and your time doing that:)

"Meanwhile we'll see that all the admins are currently busy playing some arcade shooter, ignoring all screams for help"<That is a bit rude mate, staffing the servers isn't their job, if they wana go and play other games instead of going on Unturned every time they're on their computer, they absolutely have the right to do that. They are not expected to go do staff work every time there online, that is absurd. 

"I've stopped directing players to the forums to report this, since this either gets ignored or it receives a short message "<This is just simply not true. Have you seen the reports section? I spend hours of my time every day reading and replying to every single report posted along with every ban appeal. (Granted I'll ignore posts that are poorly executed that give no basis and don't follow the sticky in the slightest, for example "player123 KOSd me can u ban him") The small messages that say there's not enough evidence are usually left by other players, not staff. You can tell who's staff by their Admin, Staff, Moderator or Owner tag under their forum name.

"Eventhough it isn't required to have screenshots nor footage" <Whilst having footage or evidence isn't required, there's only so much you can do with someones word. What do you expect us to do? Put yourself in that situation. You have 1 person saying "this guy KOS'd", the other person says "no you KOS'd first" etc. Without evidence you can't really determine who's telling the truth. Notice that the posts with evidence almost always get solved whilst the posts without always seem to have debates on them making it very tricky, almost impossible in fact, for staff to resolve it just going from peoples word. Also we do have a "watchlist", not an official one but the #staff chat in discord is full with reports on people that we watch. 

"KoS'ers are still active and dont give a shite." <The unfortunate truth. There's literally nothing anyone can do about random players joining the server and breaking rules. However, once the whitelisted servers are up and running, KOS'ers won't be half the problem they used to be, I'm really looking forward to it and I think players like yourself would love it!:D I'll make an announcement when they're up so you can apply 🙂

Also yes I agree there's an increase in inactivity, It seems a few staff members have lost interest, which is fine of course, but new staff needs to be introduced- more on this soon.

3.----

There are many many staff applications as you can see. I don't think replying to them all would be beneficial. Though, when looking for new staff we'll always take a look at all the applications, as stated in the sticky: "Please note- If you are accepted or are taken an interest to, staff will reply to your post."

As for friendships being the basis for hiring new staff, I'm not sure where you got that from as nothing we've done suggests that- I have become friends with the staff due to them being staff first, before that I didn't know them. However before giving someone staff we obviously want to get to know them and become their friend. If we don't get along with them then I don't feel like we can bring them aboard. The staff team all have great chemistry with eachother and when we're not staffing we just chat and have a laugh in discord- if we don't get along, it'd make staffing even harder. 

Not much else to say about this section, I agree with the rest- applications should be replied to with appreciation (even though we do appreciate everyone's efforts even if we don't reply). I feel that section of the forums is a bit neglected, at least by me which I'd like to change:).

4.----

Completely agree with how fucked the RP and KOS situation is. However as I said earlier, no amount of staff or anything can help kids joining an open server and breaking rules. Granted, you get some real good gems that are amazing at RP. (This is why I want to open a whitelisted server that ONLY consists of these gems:P). When I first started these servers, I was tired of the deathmatch-like feel all the other PVP servers have, so I wanted to eliminate that by having a no KOS rule. But it seems like instead of killing everyone they see, players now rob everyone they see- the pinnacle of RP on these servers -.-. I'd absolutely love to see some actual survivor roleplay and player interaction but with the amount of rule breakers which then makes rule abiding players anxious to run into someone who KOS's, there's not much anyone can do. You may disagree, you may feel like more staff will help it but after doing this for over a year, I can tell you that it won't. 
Unturned's playerbase is mostly children with no care or remorse- so hosting a public RP server is very difficult. 

The main reason players like this come and break rules is probably because they've watched my video, joined the server and not read the rules or anything. 

But yeah, in conclusion, you got some good points, some that I agree with. Definitely agree withe staff thing, more staff is obviously needed.

Thanks for taking such an interest and care for the community surrounding these servers, happy to see someone wanting to make it a better place for all 😀 We got some big changes in the works (A lot of suggestions from MrRawr coming into play:P too).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2017 7:09 pm
MrRawr and Opti reacted
Opti
 Opti
(@elmomick)

Yo Nyles, appreciate the time you took in relplying and somewhat agreeing on most posts

However that line about seeing staff playing games, that's how it feels when you actually get a response from several staff member that they know that this issue is there and they know what the players have done, yet it took them 6 days to take care of this. During that time the server was unplayable since most popular spots were overrun by these folk. And then, here you have me, trying to give them all the info they need, and I keep seeing them playing different games, it's a bit of demotivator.

Once again, appreciate the time and effort in making this reply. I couldve gone in more detail but for some reason, on microphone I can explain myself 10 times better. But hey, perhaps in the future 😉 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/06/2017 8:55 pm
Nylex
(@admin)
Illustrious Member Admin

yeah, still stick with my original thoughts on that though- I haven't played on the servers in over a week, been playing ArmA mostly, and if someone is pinging me having a go at me because I want to play a different game they can be sure as hell I ain't helping them when I'm done lol.

Again, glad to see your care and activeness within the community 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2017 9:42 pm
Opti
 Opti
(@elmomick)

Thank god the players arent the only one saying that, it's something hearing that from the owner. Thanks for the kind words.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/06/2017 10:49 pm
Nylex reacted
Fisher
(@fisher)

Dear Unturnedroleplay-playerbase, staff, friends and cunts and not to forget Nylex,

Even i would like to drop some words on these topics, it´s been bothering me for a while. Lemme get u a list so you can see what i wanna talk about.

-Staff and my POV

-Servers from my POV

Given that Opti and Mr.Rawr already went out on this, i will not repeat what they said so its a bit easier. Or atleast i try.

-STAFF from my Point of View
DO NOT FORGET, this is MY PoV and my open opinion about the staff! Judge me if you want.

Honestly theres only 2 staff members i can really name here: Pike and John so let´s begin shall we?

John: Honestly this guy needs a promotion. While he was helping Opti with guarding him with some other ppl, he went out solving server problems, yes, the typical KOS bullshit everyone knows about. Hes doing quite a bit for a Mod (i think he is) on Russia. He looks after people, responses in chat about whatever shits goin down, tps around solving kindergarden crap. I don´t know about his recent activity tho, just encountered him sometimes.

Pike: Look at this topic and look for my comment, it will be up soon.

-Servers from my PoV

Well pretty much all Opti and Rawr said are my opinion aswell (i cant await the whitelisted servers, 100% applying.)

Even tho this was about activity, i think i lost myself here, mostly has beeing said so no reason for more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2017 11:41 pm
MrRawr and Nylex reacted
Share: