What killed Cherno

Notifications
Clear all

What killed Cherno

Ed
 Ed
(@truemoo)
Prominent Member Customer

Cherno has persisted over the years even when Nylex didn't even upload for a entire year the server still went on. Now the server isn't pulling the same amount of players as it did back in 2018 , so what happened? 

First we had more npcs introduced , the npcs that were in the map before sold vanilla game items and the modded guns were found in military bases and the kos zone. But after the og modpack was deleted and that whole mess happened the server received custom npcs. The whole way of getting good loot was completely changed. Now you have to get Modded guns from the npcs and vanilla stuff spawned in the kos zones and military places. In the future this was slightly changed due now that modded armor now spawned in the kos zone and military bases as well as the Old Fire arms mod guns but all the good guns came in through the npc. In the case of vehicles there was only one vehicle you could of bought and those were the gyro copters. later in year you could make your own vehicle but the best ones still came out in the event. Now you can buy a indestructible apc for just 20 k XP.

Second the huge decrease huge variety of guns , armor and Vehicles. Before there were many options of guns you could of used , their were more variety of better guns to use not just one good auto and a sniper. Though i understand finding a good replacement for the og modpack is hard but the whole modpack situation was basically fixed with gum and bandages. Even in after a couple of years after a suitable modpack hasn't been created. Quality over Quantity but you cant do much with a bunch of lazy volunteers as staff.

Third more involvement of admins in the server. You might ask why is this bad? admins interacting with players are very dangerous and it shows why they should just stick to looking at appeals and banning people. One thing about getting a proper admin is one that doesn't get power to their head. I've seen many times admins abusing their power and even one of my friends who was one. Even in the past this happened a infamous admin abused his power and rose a group , with the support of basically anything and their own custom base they were unstoppable until the admin was removed. 

Last and i personally believe the biggest contribute to the downfall safezones. At first they were nice , they offered a place where you can do business in peace. But over the years and the safezone becoming more popular the safezone became problematic. Safezone camping , running into the safezone after combat and the worst filth of the server safezone campers became rampant. The issue with cases like this is if the person is guilty or not. 

So now for the real question how can we save the server? 

Simple , revert most of the changes like the new npcs and a safezone. I understand we cant get back most stuff in the old modpack but add these modded guns , armor and vehicles to spawn in like how they did before 

Disclaimer: This is Opinion Based and most of this comes from personal experience        

Topic starter Posted : 24/07/2020 4:12 am
Fisher
(@fisher)

Alright, lemme get my view developementwise, staffwise and managementwise over. There´s lots of reasons why Chernarus went to the state it is right now, so lemme explain. In case i get something wrong, any staff off this time is free to change or add onto that. Again this is MY VIEW from my staff position and as a player of cherno as it was released till the downfall.

As you all know, Chernarus is getting a total overhaul right now by our team, especially as it was very performance impacting. For example right now we went this far to even remake the trees. Theres a shitton of trees on Chernarus and we want to keep it that way, so we reworked Nelsons Unturned Basis trees, which were made of way to many poligons and mesh, which we changed to half the amout, yet the trees look the same as always, and the performance became better in internal testing by alot. Its the overall map itself that eats performance like crazy, even so far that even high end pcs would take a crap once they were on Chernarus.

But theres more then just map issues. Its factors like the server itself, mods, amount of poligons, and how many are connected at the same time. Further then that everybody wants to build bases, which take another huge chunk of the performance. All these things are not in our hand and we cant influence them.

Lemme start with the server:

-The "server machine" runs all servers simultaniously, and to keep all happy we run different maps with different themes like Survival, Life, Unturnov, Recording and testing server and on and on. Nylex already pays quite alot for all this, especially plugins while finnced of donations and his own pocket. You got to remember Nylex isnt a rich boy from Britain, shitting gold coins while making content, so having a single machine for one server would be amazing yes, but also crazily costly. We really have no choice serverwise, or rather not that i know if Nylex changed that up (feel free to correct me there staff team).

Mods:

-The issues with mods came across even at the start of Cherno, when we still used Steves RP pack, which as you all from that time know, had tons of bugs, overlapping IDs and conflicts with other mods. As we scrapped that idea with the RP Pack, we created our own pack consisting of many other mods, like Bandit´s Arsenal and many more.

Which brings me to the next problem. Mods that DONT have natural spawns in the world, which we solved with the NPCs. As you might know, most guns you could buy were Bandits Arsenal pack weapons and gear. We created those NPCs to be able to get this mod out to players, as aking these guns spawn naturally, would mean a complete overhaul of the Loottable and map itself, which wasnt in our hands. EZ made the map and we were just the hosts, so it would have been on him to change all this, as we couldnt. Sure he was staff aswell, which was for the developement of Chernarus and Ural mountains, which as you know is still being developed to this day and wasnt such a burner as it had the same issues like Chernarus.

Another problem were the mods from a developement standpoint. As you know, when Nelson updates the game to much, all the MODS need updates aswell from their authors. Lets just take Bandits pack for example. Many of you might know that he discontinued the pack, making no updates for it or anything whatsoever anymore. Which leads me to the point: We can only use specific mods as long as they stay up to date and are viable within the game, meaning if a major update hits, it can break the mod. If the author can´t be assed to update the mod, it gets buggy, glitchy or even unusable and crashes can occur.

Again this is a point that is totally out of our hands most times, but given we have some of our own devs now and some staff members getting into working on the new Cherno and mods, i would atleast say that some of these valuables will be in our hands hopefully.

Next issue: Poligons and performance:

Besides the server machine and different servers, theres another issue: The map itself aswell as assets on the map. On Cherno, alot of stuff was not made of one model, but many many small different models just to make one house. Instead of just making one single asset, many things were made out of multiple, easily making 500 assets for 20 houses. (A bit overdone but you get what i mean i hope.) This again inpacted performance. Now lets count all you have that a server needs to load on a map like Cherno:

-Loot, spawning and despawning, people dropping stuff ect

-Players and their actions

-Bases and all the small things inside that

-Mapassets like trees, houses, zombies and their actions

-Vehicles and their movement and behaviour, which we had a shitton of sadly (which is why i decided to go on a vehicle rampage every 2 days on LifeRP, to many quads man)

-Players drawing distance, landmarks and their LOS (Line of Sight)

-Projectiles (Bullets, Zombies throwing shit, ect)

-The safezone (Imo was nice, yet all the campfires and lamps made it lag badly.)

All this influences performance by far, especially if the server has to "stream" this for 20 + people around the map. Again this is something which isnt in our hands, thats just the game being partially unoptimized to a point, that to many cagelights can crash a server (not ours tho.). Even so, don´t try, it gets you banned. But exactly this is why we rework the map to cut down the million assets to the bare minimum, while still keeping the map as it is and give it the good Cherno flair, maybe even with some ELver assets like its houses and maybe a mall. (No promises, i just hope so.)

Anyway, if theres more questions about this matter, the future of cherno or anything related to this topic, please comment below.

Regards, Fisher

P.s: Again this is my point of view. If i stated false facts on this matter and someone of staff has different information, please correct.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/07/2020 12:38 pm
Fisher
(@fisher)

BTW i left admins and the problematics with them out as i got tired to explain this matter every week once or twice. But just in case:

We are volunteers that volunteered to help. Its not our job, nor do we get paid, or anything. We do this in free time whenever we feel like it. Forcing an admin to work in his volunteer work will never work, as admins are not only workanimals, were humans too with lifes and needs. We have active staff yes, but some do work behind the scenes, do recording or setups, some do forum stuff and ect ect. Only because youre an admin doesnt mean you gotta do all this at the same time in a community with 14000 discord members and a playerbase overall of 300.000 people.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/07/2020 12:45 pm
Nylex reacted
Ed
 Ed
(@truemoo)
Posted by: @fisher

-The "server machine" runs all servers simultaniously, and to keep all happy we run different maps with different themes like Survival, Life, Unturnov, Recording and testing server and on and on. Nylex already pays quite alot for all this, especially plugins while finnced of donations and his own pocket. You got to remember Nylex isnt a rich boy from Britain, shitting gold coins while making content, so having a single machine for one server would be amazing yes, but also crazily costly. We really have no choice serverwise, or rather not that i know if Nylex changed that up (feel free to correct me there staff team).

The server machine isn't run by Nylex it is run but by a private server company as well he has special you tuber perks so he doesnt pay as much as other people because imaging running 5 servers and having one to record  , also the server is situated i think in France?!? 

Which brings me to the next problem. Mods that DONT have natural spawns in the world, which we solved with the NPCs. As you might know, most guns you could buy were Bandits Arsenal pack weapons and gear.

This issue should of been solved a long time ago , as well the fact that the owner doesn't even own the mod any more https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1732878554

Besides the server machine and different servers, theres another issue: The map itself aswell as assets on the map. On Cherno, alot of stuff was not made of one model, but many many small different models just to make one house. Instead of just making one single asset, many things were made out of multiple, easily making 500 assets for 20 houses. (A bit overdone but you get what i mean i hope.) This again inpacted performance. Now lets count all you have that a server needs to load on a map like Cherno:

-Vehicles and their movement and behaviour, which we had a shitton of sadly (which is why i decided to go on a vehicle rampage every 2 days on LifeRP, to many quads man)

-The safezone (Imo was nice, yet all the campfires and lamps made it lag badly.)

this should of been fixed periodically throughout the servers life time.

We are volunteers that volunteered to help. Its not our job, nor do we get paid, or anything. We do this in free time whenever we feel like it. Forcing an admin to work in his volunteer work will never work, as admins are not only workanimals, were humans too with lifes and needs. We have active staff yes, but some do work behind the scenes, do recording or setups, some do forum stuff and ect ect. Only because youre an admin doesnt mean you gotta do all this at the same time in a community with 14000 discord members and a playerbase overall of 300.000 people.

Admins are given minimum resources to do their jobs and are doing more then what they should be doing. As well depending on volunteers to do work that they should get paid for. I've also seen how the admins work first hand , they work when ever they want to and there was no deadline per usual with Nylex's awful scheduling. 

Either way most of these issues can be fixed  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/07/2020 1:29 am
Fisher
(@fisher)

Alright i tried to be nice. Yes of course its not Nylex´s server, its owned by LYHME and it situated in Frankfurt,Germany. I know all that shit, and no, no big youtuber perks, he still pays for it. Sure he gets a discount, but all this is still expensive as fuck. Its not a Ultrahighend end of the line quantum machine either, its a normal hosting machine with some extra power.

Posted by: @truemoo

This issue should of been solved a long time ago , as well the fact that the owner doesn't even own the mod any more https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1732878554

Should it? We don´t have control over this as i explained dipshit. We dont own the map, we cant remake the spawntables and btw, have fun going through 10000 IDs on every spawn to get them. Shit takes time. You clearly have no idea that we maybe have 2 people who have some idea in mapmaking, not 30.

this should of been fixed periodically throughout the servers life time.

Again you didnt read. You´re playing Unturned, not Star Citizen where you pay 1000$ to play the game.Shits unoptimized by Nelson, not us.

Admins are given minimum resources to do their jobs and are doing more then what they should be doing. As well depending on volunteers to do work that they should get paid for. I've also seen how the admins work first hand , they work when ever they want to and there was no deadline per usual with Nylex's awful scheduling. 

Either way most of these issues can be fixed  

Admins do what they want. They have the freedom from Nylex to do what they want, when they want and how they want. Ever seen another server running this like everyone wishes it to be? No. No deadlines, no schedules. This isnt our life here. If youre a basement dwelling neckbeard which starts burning like a pipeline once he gets a single UV ray onto his skin, with a shitpot under his seat and a 10 liter barrel of cola with a straw, thats not our problem.

As i liked to say before to people that just mmindlessly complain with NO IDEA how stuff works in the background: If you got no idea, shut the fuck up. I answered all your questions more then i even needed to. And if you dont like it, leave.

Regards, Fisher

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2020 9:41 am
Fisher
(@fisher)

Hol up, youre banned anyway, so why you complaining lol. Get the fuck out here Truemoo. Nobody wants you here, and take roope with you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2020 9:51 am
Cup
 Cup
(@cup)
Reputable Member

@fisher

You have a fucking problem with me?

If you do come and talk to me on discord and stop complaining.

Btw I'm not banned like you thought on discord.

See you on chernarus 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2020 11:10 am
Ed
 Ed
(@truemoo)

Hol up, youre banned anyway, so why you complaining lol. Get the fuck out here Truemoo. Nobody wants you here, and take roope with you.

i'm banned from the discord but since you want to get vulgar you have been gone for a while dipshit so let me catch you up.

Should it? We don´t have control over this as i explained dipshit. We dont own the map, we cant remake the spawntables and btw, have fun going through 10000 IDs on every spawn to get them. Shit takes time. You clearly have no idea that we maybe have 2 people who have some idea in mapmaking, not 30.

If that were the case all the new maps and shit wouldn't be possible because you guys have 2 people who "know what their doing" which im going to assume you mean Justin and Dylan which like you said have no experience. Nylex can just get a team of people like he did in brunswick but that takes effort which is very hard for your little head to understand. 

Admins do what they want. They have the freedom from Nylex to do what they want, when they want and how they want. Ever seen another server running this like everyone wishes it to be? No. No deadlines, no schedules. This isnt our life here. If youre a basement dwelling neckbeard which starts burning like a pipeline once he gets a single UV ray onto his skin, with a shitpot under his seat and a 10 liter barrel of cola with a straw, thats not our problem.

Your fucking serious right??? Life doesn't mean having deadlines and schedules that means having shit together. Even past admins have complained about it. Don't see how sitting around on a boat saying you served your country spraying water on somali pirates time to time is no different from being a basement dwelling neckbeard. Also what the fuck does basement dwelling neckbeard have to do with being productive like fuck your saying this un-ironically as a unturned admin volunteer , jesus christ no wonder you got that navy job.     

As i liked to say before to people that just mmindlessly complain with NO IDEA how stuff works in the background: If you got no idea, shut the fuck up. I answered all your questions more then i even needed to. And if you dont like it, leave.

Bitch i was there when maps and i wouldn't be saying this shit if i didn't know what was up. So just stick to your .... wait i don't even know what you do on the server so yeah just continue being the worthless cunt you are treating rwby like if it was the bible. \

Don't bring roope into this like the fuck didn't the military teach you anything about respect and shit? or all of that shit went down the drain when they put you in boat duty.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/07/2020 12:22 am
Nylex
(@admin)
Illustrious Member Admin

Alright let me just clear some things up.

I think it's evident that the main reason the server died is because my video series on the server ended.
The server was alive and well for 2 years after we changed the mods & NPCs, so how can they be the reason for its downfall?
We put a lot of work into our own version of Cherno, with a plethora of modded weapons & items that did infact spawn in KOS/Rad zones, not just armor?? Our custom NPCs also traded modded items. I took heavy inspiration from CCG's A3 Exile servers because they worked really well, and I'm confident in saying our version worked well too. But like Fisher said, mod updates, game updates and many other variables out of our immediate control caused more than a few hiccups. But it's far from 'gum & bandages' 

Also a few speculations from this thread:
-Deadlines are useful and important, but I would never order a deadline on people who volunteer to be an admin. If the server was making enough money to pay these people, yes ordering deadlines would be absolutely acceptable. It's not that my scheduling is awful, its that I'm not a dickhead who'll set deadlines on people that don't get paid.
-I don't get special perks for my status when it comes to server hosting, I pay for the servers & plugins. 

I understand there's a nostalgic desire for old cherno, and alongside the reworked server there's no problem in me making a 2nd Cherno server that has the old map and as many of the old mods as possible. I agree that it would be brilliant and I'm more than willing to do so. 

Anyway, thanks for your feedback

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2020 4:08 pm
Cup reacted
Ed
 Ed
(@truemoo)
Posted by: @admin

I understand there's a nostalgic desire for old cherno, and alongside the reworked server there's no problem in me making a 2nd Cherno server that has the old map and as many of the old mods as possible. I agree that it would be brilliant and I'm more than willing to do so. 

I know i give you alot of shit but please make this happen.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/07/2020 9:54 pm
Gioni Drip
(@gioni-drip)

cherno is ruined by the assholes who just kos and then leave and by the rules that allow you to be an ass, like just ask someone to drop all their stuff in 3 secons( no one can do that fast) or they kill, or just raiding a base over and over, also if you do not recod gameplay 24/7 you get kosd and have noe vidnce

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2020 7:04 pm
Share: